Monday, September 26, 2011

LED Tower VU meter




As I was working on my design for a plasma arc speaker, I wanted to give it a little more  visual effects.  I had seen an led VU meter someone had built for their stereo, and decided to build a large one with acrylic lenses and high power LED’s.  I used the previous work I had done on a simple 386 audio amp for use with my iPod, and added an additional digital section, using a 3915 LED bar driver chip.  This chip sinks up to 30mA of current for each LED.  However, the high power LED’s I wanted to use could take up to 70mA of current.  So I used each of the 3915 outputs to drive the base of a PNP transistor, which could handle the 70mA of current for the LED.   I then built a 10 inch high tower of acrylic lenses and glued each LED into the back of each lens.   This setup works really well.
I am now trying to develop a more sophisticated version of this, which includes a microphone and multiple colored or RGB LED’s as a commercial project.   I am doing a provisional design patent, and  I already have a meeting scheduled with a manufacturer who is interested in the project.

No comments:

Post a Comment