Sunday, September 25, 2011

3D Laser Scanning system


As part of a rapid prototyping approach, I wanted to be able to scan objects into a 3D CAD file format, and be able to manipulate them, and produce them on my CNC mill.  I found free scanning software on the internet called DavidSoft.  I then built a precise background for reference.  Using a webcam as the camera and a line laser module that I bought on the internet, I was able to scan in objects.  I also found free mesh software that would allow me to scan the object from several directions, and put them together into a total mesh file.  The first way I did this was handheld, which resulted in somewhat sporatic file quality.  I then designed and built an Arduino microprocessor based scanning system.  I put together a stepper motor and lead screw to smoothly scan the laser, and a stepper motor with platform to precisely turn the object after each scan.  This allowed the files to have much greater image quality, and the total mesh files to closely resemble the actual object.  I am in the process of trying to produce these files as physical objects on my CNC mill.

No comments:

Post a Comment