Sunday, September 25, 2011

Laser Light Show



This project was a fun personal engineering project, where I created a laser light show using 5mW red and green laser diodes, along with microprocessor controlled spinning mirrors.  I used 5V DC motors and epoxied small round mirrors on the ends of the shafts.  The mirrors needed to be slightly off axis to create different patterns, so I epoxied them on close to perpendicular.  Each of the motors was controlled by a microprocessor, using PWM (pulse width modulation) to change the speed.  I wrote code in C that generated random numbers for each motor and for each delay between cycles of the main control loop.  These random numbers were scaled to a range between off and full speed for each motor, and they generate many different, changing patterns.  I am currently working on re-writing the code to use TouchOSC to be able to control the Laser Light Show over the internet, from my Android phone.  In the TouchOSC rendition, I am setting up software sliders to PWM the motor speed for each of the three motors, and on/off switches for each of the lasers.

No comments:

Post a Comment